Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Lọc
  • Giờ
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the 10th point: the school has to teach students the importance and the pride of the profession. It's sad that importance and pride are only intangible rewards
    The article may be biased, but the decline in engineering students happens everywhere, here another article from BBC: BBC News - Warning over shortage of engineering graduates

Comment

• What can we do to make things better in Vietnam? if you were Minister of Education, what would you do?
      What kinds of engineering are required?
      - Civil Engineers: ==> new roads, new bridges, hydroelectric dam ... civil engineers play significant role for developing country
      - Maritime engineers ==> to build vessels, for travel and border protection
      - .... you name it
      (note that the purpose is mainly to practise English, don't take things too seriously)
      Last edited by jefflieu; 03-10-2012, 13:13.

Comment

• Many many things should to do, but no one does ...
        Nguyên văn bởi jefflieu Xem bài viết
        - .... you name it
        Mechanization in agriculture.
        Electronics, ofcourse.
        Chưa đỗ tú tài, nên vẫn còn phải đi học.

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi jefflieu Xem bài viết
          What can we do to make things better in Vietnam? if you were Minister of Education, what would you do?
          What kinds of engineering are required?
          - Civil Engineers: ==> new roads, new bridges, hydroelectric dam ... civil engineers play significant role for developing country
          - Maritime engineers ==> to build vessels, for travel and border protection
          - .... you name it
          (note that the purpose is mainly to practise English, don't take things too seriously)

Don't know about Minister of Education, but I do know that bunch of students asking for help on their projects on this forum.

Don't they know that they are learning for themselves ?

I pretty sure this is a culture thing. Here in US, asian students (especially Vietnamese) are known for cheating (not all of them, of course). But you can always ask around for solution books, old tests from last semesters, etc. How do I know this? Well half of my class were kicked out for cheating (more than 80% were Vietnamese). After I graduated, I still had people asking for old essays from classes I took years before. This one guy who used my essays against my advice got a big F. The professor knew me well enough to recognize my poor writing skill. I had been asked to take test for money. I've seen people taking class for other. I've seen VN students got caught cheating in class. I've seen student asking to join my senior project because they could not come up with one. I've seen students using senior projects from classes before them. I've seen..............too many things.

At one time FBI got involved because some VN students stole and sold test on campus.

With a mentality like that, how could anyone learn anything. Then when it comes to working environment, bribery and brown nosing is most likely on their mind.

Comment

• Oh yeah, I guess vnexpress never knows this thing ... (i'm not happy hearing this)
            I'm speechless!
            I don't know why "cheating" becomes a norm in VN ... or I'm wrong?
            I went to high-school in 2000 to 2002, and i believe cheating was everywhere, in everyclass and schools. Some guy, some dude would do that on behalf of many ... sigh,
            Can we blame them or we blame the education that is based on meaningless memorizing?

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi jefflieu Xem bài viết
              Oh yeah, I guess vnexpress never knows this thing ... (i'm not happy hearing this)
              I'm speechless!
              I don't know why "cheating" becomes a norm in VN ... or I'm wrong?
              I went to high-school in 2000 to 2002, and i believe cheating was everywhere, in everyclass and schools. Some guy, some dude would do that on behalf of many ... sigh,
              Can we blame them or we blame the education that is based on meaningless memorizing?
              You meant it has been a norm in VN. I knew about cheating since grade school. We used to cover our test with left hands so other kids could not see what we wrote.

In the 60s my uncle was a professor and used to catch students cheating in class, especially during final exams. One of the tricks was to stand in the back of the class and look for student with red ears (flushed). He/she was most likely in the act of cheating.

I don't know about now. I only hope that students realize that they are harming themseves, and would refrain from cheating.

Comment

• Check out those great series On youtube which may satisfy your curiosity:
                "The incredible human journey" by Dr Alice Roberts
                "World History" by Andrew Marr: from Age of Stone Tools to Age of technology
                "World War II In HD"
                Love them. The presenters are excellent, passionate and knowledgeable.

Comment

• Chinese may open the door to business but I think English will open the door to knowledge

Comment

• Hi guy, I'm 23 year old. How old are you? I'd like to know all of you and we can have some good time and helpful experience in Electronic.
                    Thanks for read. have a beatiful night.

Comment

• I'm 28!
                      Sorry for not introducing earlier!
                      Thanks for reading.
                      -Jeff

Comment

• Ca nha vui nhi hihi

Comment

• Man! Engineers don't talk much huh! So quiet

Comment

• Btw, what are the profiles of members here?
                            18-22 yo:
                            23-27 yo:
                            27-35 yo:
                            36-50 yo:
                            Married/Single
                            Male/Female?
                            Anyone has the numbers?

Comment

• This stuff is interesting: Renaissance Technologies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                              Investment strategyFor more than twenty years, Simons' Renaissance Technologies hedge fund, which trades in markets around the world, has employed complex mathematical models to analyze and execute trades, many of them automated. Renaissance uses computer-based models to predict price changes in easily-traded financial instruments. These models are based on analyzing as much data as can be gathered, then looking for non-random movements to make predictions.[7]

Renaissance employs some with non-financial backgrounds, including mathematicians, physicists, astrophysicists and statisticians. About a third of the 275 employees at the East Setauket office have Ph.Ds.[7]

Comment

• Yah, we're still alive, we're still alive

Comment

Về tác giả

Collapse

Luanelek Tìm hiểu thêm về Luanelek

Bài viết mới nhất

Collapse

Đang tải...
                                X